From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:21:01 -0700
>I live in Maine and I have a fairly clear idea of what species I will find
>when I visit the local seashore to explore tidepools. What I would like to
>know is what are the common species at other locations?
>
>Here is my list of  the common shell species that you would find in a
>tidepool in Mid-coast Maine.
>Mytilus edulis - blue mussel
>Modiolus capax - Horse mussel
>Notoacmea testudinalis - Atlantic plate limpet
>Littorina littorina - Common European Periwinkle
>Littorina obtusata  - Northern Yellow Periwinkle
>Crepidula plana - Eastern white slipper shell
>Nucella lapillus - Atlantic Dogwinkle
>If I visit a tidepool in Oregon what will I find? What about England? What
>about a coral reef in the caribbean or Australia?  What about a sand beach
>in Florida? or Hawaii?
>
>Please just pick your favorite biome and give us a list of the shells most
>commonly found there. If you can please include both latin and common names
>for those of use who are still beginners at this.

My name is Dan Yoshimoto.  I live in Eureka, California and am in the same
province as Dusty martin, so I will find more or less the same species at
Cape mendocino in the tide pools there.  But I just moved from Southern
Californi, where we were in a completely different province, so I'll write
about that.  There the common species at the Long Beach Marina are:
Astraea undosa,(Wood,1828) Wavy Turban
Pterpurpura festiva(Hinds, 1844) Festive Murex
Pteropurpura trialata(Sowerby, 1841) Three-Winged Murex
Roperia poulsoni(Carpenter, 1864) Poulson's Rock Shell
Ocenebra circumtexta Stearnes, 1871  Circled Rock Shell
Acanthina spirata(Blainville,1832) Angular Unicorn
Nucella emarginata(Deshayes, 1839)Emarginate Dogwinkle
Crucibulum spinosum (Sowerby,1824) Spiny Cup & Saucer Shell
Crepidula onyx Sowerby,1824  Onyx Slipper Shell
Epitonium tinctum(Carpenter, 1864) Tinted Wentletrap
Opalia funiculata(Carpenter, 1857)  Sculptured Wentletrap
Littorina planaxis Philippi, 1847  Eroded Periwinkle
Littorina scutulata Gould, 1849 Checkered periwinkle
Tegula funebralis(A.Adams, 1855) Black Tegula
Tegula eiseniJordan, 1936 Banded Tegula
Notoacmaea insessa(Hinds, 1844) Seaweed Limpet
Collisella ocracea(Dall, 1871) No Name
Collisella scabra(Gould, 1846) Rough Limpet
Megathura crenulata(Sowerby, 1825) Giant Keyhole Limpet
Alia carinata(Hinds, 1844) Carinate Dove Shell
Nassarius fossatus(Gould, 1849) Channeled Nassa
Nassarius perpinguis(Hinds, 1844) Fat Nassa
Nassarius mendicus (Gould, 1849) Lean Nassa
Olivella biplicata(Sowerby, 1825) Puprple Olivella
Olivella baetica Carpenter, 1864 Beatic Olive
Conus californicus Reeve, 1844 California Cone
Mopalia muscosa (Gould, 1846) Mossy Mopalia

On Balboa Is, in Orange County, a few miles to the south, there are mud
canals and there you'll find comletely different species.  A few are:
Bulla gouldina Pilsbry, 1893  California Bubble Shell
Haminoea virescens(Sowerby, 1833) Green Paper Bubble Shell
Rictaxis punctocaelatus(Carpenter, 1864) Barrel Shell
Acteocina inculta(Gould, 1855) No Name
Acteocina harpa (Dall, 1871) No Name
Melampus olivaceus Carpenter, 1857  Salt marsh Snail
Cerithidea californica(Haldeman, 1840) California Horn Shell

A few miles north, at White Pt, in San Pedro, you'll find wonderful tide
pools with a myriad of different shells.  Besides the shells found at the
Long Beach marina, you'll find the following:
Cypraea spadicea Swainson, 1823  Chestnut Cowry
Norrisia norrisi(Sowerby, 1838) Norris' Top Shell
Tegula aureotincta(Forbes, 1852) Gilded Tegula
Trivia californianus(Gray, 1827) California Trivia
Maxwellia gemma(Sowerby,1879) Gem Murex
Kelletia kelleti(Forbes, 1852) Kellet's Whelk
Mitra idae Melvill, 1893  Ida's Miter
And on the breakwall, at Cabillo Beach, also in San Pedro, California,
you'll find one of my favorites:
Ceratostoma nuttali(Conrad, 1837) Nuttal's Hornmouth

I hope this is helpful to you.  It has made me think also.
Dan Yoshimoto

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.
Eureka, California