From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:50:45 -0800
I only visited the Cook Islands once in 1990.  At that time there were no
restrictions in place on collecting shells or buying them.  The shelling
wasn't great where I stayed (Pacific Resort) but I was only there for a
couple of days and the weather was cool and windy which made snorkeling
difficult.  There was a small shell shop owned by Terry Lambert and his wife
Pukurura (which means red shell)in Muri Beach on Rarotonga.  I bought about
20 nice olive shells collected up North at Rakahanga Atoll for a very
reasonable price. Terry's wife also had lots of small cowries and land snail
shells she used to make shell craft items.  I also bought a small Tridacna
maxima which caused me problems when we continued on to New Zealand (It's on
the CITES list) although customs didn't take it they weren't happy with me.
If you have further questions contact me at [log in to unmask]
Bert Bartleson, Olympia, WA. USA