From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:36:01 +0800
Dear Andrew & All,

The locality data of G. superba are quite OK, near Balut. Of course
fishermen move about 10 miles around these localities, as well in
Alguay, in Balut or around Balicasag.  I did not check the maps but
apparently around Balut there are quite deep places. And depth varies
in meters. In front of my house on Punta Engano, at 1 km, we have 400
m deep. To the left, I have at 1 mile away almost 1000 m !.

Indeed, not to confuse with large G. yoka delicatula from Aliguay
Island.
The holotypes of all shells described by people from Conchology, Inc.
are obligatory in the Manila Museum. This is also true for shells
dredged in the Philippines by members of the MNHN museum, Paris. But
we can describe shells from the Philippines from owners abroad, these
go to other museums possibly.
There has been a much media covered transfer of types from
Conchology, Inc., the MNHN, and the Singapore Raffles University
(Crustacea) in Manila, january this year.

For the moment the museum in Manila is not yet that well equipped -
we hope this will change in the future - but anyhow, with the
accurate photography of today and the color pictures, types are less
important than 15 years ago and before, where illustrations could not
render what the animals resembled.

I'll in Belgium next week and the very first week of Belgium. Email
is the same.

I wish you all a splendid end of the year and much happiness in 2008
and let the shells and nature help you to enjoy the days ever more
than before.

Guido

www.conchology.be
www.poppe-images.com