From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:51:49 +0800
Fully agree Ellen,

that's the bottom line. However, I don't think these things are
worked out intentionally, or at least not in a general "conscious"
way. I know of only a couple of cases where exploration was planned
and moved because of commercial interests. Cannot say more if I don't
want a bullet in my head. In this very cases the industry went ahead
very intentionally. But the average people are not aware of course.

We will see what happens in the Camotes Sea soon. An oil company will
explore the area with explosions every 30 seconds or so, of an
intensity that goes several km in the bottom (as I was told).
Dynamite fishing is a joke compared to that. The area has over 10000
species of mollusks, about 3 times the whole fauna of Europe found in
a place of about 250 x 150 km only. There are 1500 fish species (out
of 16000 worldwide). It is probably the richest biodiversity on
earth. In local journals there is some movement: the area is heavily
dived and there are a few nice coral reefs. Let's wait and see.

Guido
Very dark night in Belgium.