From:
frhinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:39:34 -0500
Stop already,
I am drounding in my saliva. Fred in MN. How for can you
get from the saltwaters?

----------
> From: Andrew K. Rindsberg
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Cream of artichoke soup
> Date: Friday, September 18, 1998 1:27 PM
>
> Ah, no, Art! If San Francisco were utterly leveled by
simultaneous fire,
> quake, blight, and blast, and I were empowered to save
but one building, it
> would have to be a bakery! I have lived in New Orleans,
where French bread
> is a staple, and in New York, where the Italian bread is
nonpareil. But
> there's nothing like San Francisco's sourdough bread.
Whenever I flew back
> to Louisiana, I had to carry a loaf or face my mother's
wrath.

> It was California where I first had raw green peas in a
salad; likewise
> broccoli. These are now common in salads across the land.
I had my first
> Dungeness crab there, and zucchini cake, and a host of
Oriental and Mexican
> vegetables that I miss sorely here in the Southeast. And
Martinelli's
> sparkling apple cider. And squid, and abalone. At Pismo
Beach, I had a
> sampler plate of fried clams of four or five species,
including the famous
> Pismo clam (Tivela stultorum). The jackknife clams were
the tastiest, by
> the way. Californians have a greater variety of good,
fresh food than
> anyone else in the U.S., because so many specialty crops
are grown there.
> There's a climatic zone for everything, and all the
different ethnic groups
> brought their own crops. Even a student could afford to
buy five kinds of
> lettuce for a salad, and the variety of fruit and berries
in June was