From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:16:50 +1300
Hi Peter

If it's a small shell with coarse sculpture it's probably Cymatium
tabulatum, which occurs intertidally around NZ; I have recently
collected live specimens at Mt Maunganui (W Bay of Plenty) and
Dunedin.

Cabestana spengleri grows to about 15cm; I can't remember its full
distribution, but think it is subtidal. Sculpture is much less coarse
than C. tabulatum. From memory (Perry 1811) sounds right as
authorship.

Chemnitz doesn't enter into it... the only valid taxonomic name he
described (and it had to be validated by someone else at a later date)
was Conus gloriamaris.

Ranellidae is a mess at supraspecific level...

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi Ranelliphiles,
>
> I asked about these two labels a couple years ago, but never got an answer
> regarding the use of Perry and Chemnitz.
>
> Labels:
>
> Cymatiidae
> Cymatilesta
> spengleri
> Chemnitz
> Sidney NSW
> Smith 70
>
> Cymatiidae
> Calestana             (I realize this is a typo)
> spengleri
> Perry, 1811
> Alive in weed amongst low tidal rocks
> Arkies Bay, Aukland N.Z.
> Willan June 1 1969
>
> How does Chemnitz enter into this mess?
>
> Peter
> (ps. Wow, Ranellids are difficult to ID and match label to shell! My little
> pile of cutaceum and dolarium etc are giving me a migraine!)
>
> --
>
> Peter Egerton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>
> - - - - - - - Shell Collector & Website Designer - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Portfolio Website: www.peteregerton.ca
>                    Peter's Seashells Website: www .petersseashells.ca
>
>           Email:

Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand
Fossil preparator