Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 23:06:23 -0000
Here is some input into this interesting discussion from Iceland:

The molluscan land fauna of Iceland was introduced, mostly from Europe, in
the last 10 000 years. Iceland was swept clean by the Pleistocene glacier
so this is certain. Most of the species are fairly cosmopolitan and are in
Iceland at their northern limit of distribution. Land bridges did not
exist, so how did they make it across the ocean?  Several ways come to
mind:
1. Brought by humans. Iceland was colonized from the mainland in the
nineth century, bringing lifestock and crops.
2. Birds. Many of the species are migratory, and may bring eggs on their
feet.
3. Driftwood, mainly from Siberia, is very common on Icelandic shores.

It seems all these methods would also work for European species introduced
into Eastern North America.
An interesting question: Why have so few American species spread to
Europe? Physa acuta, Zonitoides nitidus, Z. arboreus, more?

Best wishes,
Pall Einarsson