Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:55:17 -0500
OK,  I've bit my lip for long enough...

In 1963 while in 10" of water (reef between the ocean and lagoon) our
species find No. 146
was collected.  The shell was alive and a nice orange-color inside.  We
identified it by using
Sea Shells of the World.  (our second book - the first was written in
Japanese & Latin).
The book identifies the shell as a MED shell and speaks nothing of the
Atlantic - Copy 1962.

I know we have more than one - just don't have a display with them set up.

Now the location.    Kwajalein Island, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall
Islands, South Pacific.

The island was a mid pacific refueling depot since ships burned oil -
Germany first, Then Japan,
then United Nations Trust Territory  - U.S.A. and during the latter
years, ships from 'down under'
visited in SEATO maneuvers.  Besides fun talking sailors, maybe
something in their bilge as well.

The point being made is simply they can be found many places (so it seems.)

Studies apparently  place them in the MED and middle Atlantic to the Gulf.

My suspects place them at the mouths of the Panama canal and other ports
of call in the
Pacific where trading ships take the goods of the Med (shoes/ swim fins
to oil) world wide.

(No 147 in our list is Melongena corona Gmelin.  Not exactly a Pacific
shell, but very prolific as I recall.)

Martin