From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 16:00:42 -0500
probably so in this case.....

, but keep in mind there is a large bubble shell that occurs from
Florida  to the Caribbean that looks like B. ampulla, called Bulla
solida. I didnt know about the existence of that species until a few
years ago. Many people dont know about it but it looks just like B.
ampulla. Reaches upwards of 50mm....

On 2/6/14, Jim Brunner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Just couldn't resist this thread.  In Bay County (Florida Panhandle) we have
> Shell Island, a much visited spot by tourists arriving by boats from the
> local marinas.  Soon after are arrival here in the 1980's we were shelling
> on an adjacent beach a few miles longshore drift east of Shell Island and
> came across a large Bulla ampulla.  What a range extension!  Our excitement
> was soon quelled when we learned that the marinas would send early boats out
> to "salt" the beach with any shells that were available and cheap.
>
> Jim Brunner
>
> On Feb 6, 2014, at 1:57 PM, Sue Hobbs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Harry-
>>
>> You make a very good point here.  I am actually not at all skeptical about
>> the Tonna finding, but have only been able to find records (admittedly not
>> well-searched) of it from as far north as off North Carolina.
>>
>> Sue

>>> Sandwich....and he pulled it out and brought it home. What is it? One