From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:07:19 +0000
Mel,

Enjoy your time in Kauai.  There is good tidepooling and snorkeling on
the south shore at Poipu Beach and Lawai Beach (on the road to Spouting
Horn.)  Next to Lawai Beach-directly in front of Prince Kuhio Park-
there is a rock platform that has a lot of interesting critters to offer
at low tide.

Lawai offers one side of the tiny bay composed of rocky rubble, a large
shallow sandy section in the middle (Terebras abound) and a nice rocky
reef platform at the other side of the bay.  Check the reef platforms at
Lawai that are washed by a fair amount of wave action for abundant large
Conus ebraus among other things.

At the north end of the island, you should encounter some rough seas
this time of year.  At Anini Beach, this sometimes results in beautiful
fossil Carelia shells washed ashore.  These are a large turreted land
snail that is endemic to Kauai and probably extinct.  I'm told that if
you walk the beach after storms, you can often find Carelia's in the
beach drift(I've found one during a visit).

Best regards,

Phil Liff-Grieff
La Crescenta, CA