From:
Robert Avent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:07:15 -0500
     You're right generally.  Actually, bacteria make up a whole domain.  A
     second is the Eucarya (animals, ciliates, plants, fungi, flagellates
     and microsporidians).  Still a third is the Archaea, a diverse batch
     of microbes which include extreme thermophiles, halophiles, and
     others.  These are distinguishable from bacteria in a number of
     fundamental biochemical and functional ways.  Archea were once called
     Archaebacteria.

     Domain     Eucarya
      Kingdom    Animalia
       Phylum     Chordata
        Class      Mammalia
         Order      Cetacea
          Family     Delphinidae
           Genus      Tursiops
            Species    truncatus (bottlenose dolphin)

     Adding subclasses, suborders, subfamilies, tribes, subgenera,
     subspecies, forms, etc., etc, can give one quite a little hierarchical
     listing!  As you conchlers know, each taxonomic group has its own
     traditions and protocols.  And, depending on the group, there can be
     lots of disagreement below the class level.  But the Archaea are
     different from all others at the highest level.

     So you are more closely related to a paramecium (and certainly a
     Busycon) than a bacterium is to an Archaean.

     OK, I have too much time on my hands.

     Robert M. Avent
     Oceanographer
     Minerals Management Service