From:
Michael Hollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:36:33 +0100
Dear Doug,
back in 1992/1993  I had some very nice models of several species of my
favorite shell family, the Naticidae, constructed by Duane Schilz in
Shallotte, NC. Specifically, he built modesl of Euspira lewisii (Gould, 1847),
Neverita duplicata (Say, 1822) and Sinum perspectivum (Say, 1831) for me.
I don't know whether Duane is still around making models, but at the time he
was manufactoring mollusk as well as fish models for several museums.
The procedure was such: I supplied the shells and as many different color
photos of the species as I could. Duane built and hand-painted the models
which he put on sand-impregnated plaster stands.
Duane's address at the time was:

Duane Schilz
Living Sea Sculptures
P.O. Box 2431
Shallotte, NC 28459

I sent this info to Conch-L rather than to you personally, as I felt that
other people might be interested in models of living mollusks as well. If you
need additional information, please contact me privately.
Michael Hollmann

     Dr. Michael Hollmann
     Goerdelerweg 17
     D-37075 Goettingen