From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:20:05 -0700
I've only had the opportunity to collect live shells once, and they were on the
small side, but what I did was put them in a tupperware-type container with rubbing
alcohol until I got home a week later.  Then I boiled them.  It turned out all
right.
For people collecting large quantities, so much rubbing alcohol would probably be
expensive, but I am wondering whether a strong bleach solution would work as well.
Of course if you need to preserve opercula or periostracum then this wouldn't work
very well.
Another idea that I had, but never tried would be to take a camping stove with you,
even a one burner backpack type, collect the shells in a metal pot and then boil
them up right on the beach (or at your campsite/picnic site if you are at one) and
pick the animals out.  There are probably places that you could not do this, but if
you could it would sure draw some conversation!
Travelling by air with a backpack stove might seem to be  a problem but people
doing backpack trips to far off places do it, so it can be done.

Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta
(where it is way too warm for Christmas, no snow boo-hoo!)