From:
Andrew Dickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:42:03 -0500
Bill Fenzan wrote:

> Dear Andrew,
>
> Joyce Allen in her book Cowry Shells of World Seas lists Macrocypraea zebra
> dissimilis Schilder, 1924 as "A South-east Brazilian race.  The shell
> appears to be an abnormal form of Macrocypraea zebra.  It is dark red-brown
> in colour, with lateral spots obsoletely or not ocellated."
>
> In the Prodrome of a Monograph on Living Cypraea, the Schilders add to
> this..."The Brazilian shells..., to which the abnormal dissimilis may
> belong, seem to differ from the Northern zebra ... by the darker red-brown
> colour, which extends dorsally above the extremities, being more
> accentuated, by the lateral spots not ocellated though large, and by the
> less numerous teeth."  Range is listed as from S. Paulo (San Sebastiao) to
> Pernambuco.
>
> If you need more information on the shells of Brasil, suggest you contact
> Jose & Marcus Coltro.  They are very knowledgeable and friendly.
>
> I have one specimen from the Florida Keys, two shells from the West Indies
> and one specimen from Brasil.  The southern shell looks just like the two
> from the West Indies, but different from the one collected in Florida.  More
> ocellated spots on the sides and longer teeth on the southern ones.   This
> is not a big enough sample.  Perhaps others on the list with more shells
> will take up the thread and provide more info.  Hope this helps.

Thanks Bill and Terry.  I did have some lists from the Coultros but they
listed their Brazilian shells as Cypraea zebra.  The advantage of
posting things like this on Conch-L is a quick response and everyone
interested can learn about things like this.

I will be leaving this list soon.  Thanks to all of those people who I
have traded shells with.  Take care everyone and have a great new year!

Andrew D.