From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 01:27:59 -0500
Peter Egerton wrote:

> You wrote:
> >Happy New Year to all! ... It won't even look like a date without that "19"
> >-- an address, maybe? -- and none of us will live to see another "C" in a
> >current Roman Numeral date!  Thanks,
> >
> >Martin Kohl
> >

> I have a few friends with babies. There's a chance that some of
> these little ones will live to see the next century change -2100!
> Think of what changes have taken place since 1900 and imagine
> what these children will live through!!
>
> Happy New Year everyone,
> Peter

Happy New Year to all of Conch-L,

We're just home from our New Year's party with old friends and new, to
find that nothing has quit working yet here in Louisville! Except my old
calendar,that is... oh! and gasoline prices also seem to have gone out
of date again!

My grandmother was 101 this past July, and in full possession of her
abilities (I say that because everyone asks, and seems to take it for
granted that she's gaga).  She was born in 1898 and just saw the
beginning of her third century!  Think what she lived through! When you
see all those documentaries about "this splendid century," imagine of
all the changes and wonders she has seen! When I drive with her in the
car, and take a corner sharply, she still scolds "Don't switch me out!"
That is horse and buggy talk when going around a curve too fast could
slide you right off the seat.

Just for the record and for fireworks fans: about those British
fireworks...I heard that the London fireworks at 37 tons were billed the
world's biggest. They might be if they are counting only New Year's Eve
fireworks. But even though some folks believe we are the back of beyond
here in Kentucky, the kick-off event for Louisville's Kentucky Derby
Festival the last of April is the title holder of the "world's biggest
fireworks"...Thunder Over Louisville! (Or we are unless someone has
surpassed us recently.) This year's Thunder was something over 50 tons
and it was really spectacular. The starting salvo is better than most
other grand finales I have seen elsewhere.

May the new century bring us all the shells we ever dreamed of and a
solution to the conservation issues that we shellers can live with. May
it bring all of us in Conch-L land peace in our homelands, and peace in
our homes and in our hearts.

Happy New Year,

Lynn Scheu
Louisville KY