From:
Paul Callomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 12:31:30 +0900
Better living through chemistry!

Quite. Althor's foam is bearing up well here in hot, humid Japan, as are
their clear styrene boxes. Adequate ventilation is the key, as it is in
preventing 'Byne's disease'. On the subject of which solvents are safe to
use on shells : I bought a Perotrochus vicdani some years ago at a
knock-down price ($40 or something) because it had been bust and fixed by
someone in the Philippines, and they had made a lousy job of glueing it
together again. Figuring that the shell was cheap enough that it didn't
matter if it went wrong, I dissolved the glue using paint thinner - Toluene
at high concentration, something over 90% I think - and this worked a
treat. Five years on, the shell seems unaffected. The highly volatile
nature of Toluene means it doesn't linger, and the pigments in
Pleurotomariids are unaffected by hydrocarbons anyway. I have occasionally
removed old label glue and marker pen from specimens using Zippo fuel
(purified gasoline, as far as I can tell) and again, there have been no
adverse effects yet. As Sally Shelton advised in that article about shell
preservation I mentioned in connection with Byne's disease a few days back,
it may be a good idea to note anything you do to a specimen on its label in
case it goes pear-shaped later on.