From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:21:44 -0800
According to the California Fish & Game, there is no live shelling  from
mean tide level to 1000 feet (into the Sea...Art.  This could be East,
West, North or South, depending if you are standing on a spit, promontory,
cape, etc.)
        If you have a California Scientific Collector's permit (Issued by
Fish & Game to institutions of higher learning and museums of scientific
background, you may collect... but you must report what you are studying,
what you have collected for that study and where the specimens have been
deposited.  Cost?  about $45.00/ collector.
        Edible mollusks may be collected for consumption with certain "bag
limits".  Abalones may not be collected South of San Francisco Bay to the
Mexican border.
        Dead shells may not be collected in State or National Parks... or
Reserves.
        For more information on exact wording, write to the California
Department of Fish and Game for their regulations on "Sports fishing".
Dan