From:
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 10:33:59 -0700
Frank,

>What, or which books, would be the best to place, from which a new prospect
could get the most use. Is it still the "Compendium?"

Interesting question.  I don't think it would be the "Compendium" as it is a
bit much initially and lacks the "wow!" pictures of shells.  I'd opt for
Eisenberg, "A Collector's Guide to Seashells of the World."  Of course it is
out of print and there are now a number of errors (some original problems
but many because of changes since publication).  But despite those problems,
the layout and presentation of the book are more apt to interest beginners
and enable them to understand family relationships.  The other books that
would fill the bill would be Dr. Rosenberg's "The Encyclopedia of Seashells"
for a concise overview of Mollusca and for some great photos, Wye's, "The
Encyclopedia of Shells."  Added to this would be the small books like the
Audubon guide, and other popular Barnes and Noble type books.

My two cents worth.

Tom Eichhorst In New Mexico (sun shine galore, low 60s in the day, low 20s
at night, no snow in site, big forest fire season expected this year)