From:
Michael LaFosse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:46:53 -0500
I remember those days of the Kurz lists!

The conchologist, the collector and the dealer works almost exclusively with a
specialized fraction of the whole animal and there is the tendency to make
conclusions without all of the information.  This is not good science, no
matter who is doing it. Advice to future splitters: reference species by the
locality of populations and keep the number of specific names to a minimum
until there is some sound biological evidence for a new name.

A good example of locality form difference is the Philippine vs. the Srilanka
Murex palmarosae they are obviously very different, concologically, even to a
beginning collector.  A knowledgeable collector knows what to expect in the
mail when they see this species listed from either of these two localities.  An
added benefit of making locality more prominent in the description of animals
is that even the casual student will more about geography and the locations of
different countries.