From:
Betty Jean Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 14:40:13 -0500
Dear Conch-Lers and Patty:

Below is part of a recent email I sent to Conch-L and below that is Patty
Jensen's response.  Thought you might find it interesting.

"I am wondering if all of you know that the Biplex shells in Australia are
called Kookaburra shells, which means Cock's comb. If you need an
explanation of how that came about, take the Ross calendar page for April,
turn it upside down (180°) and see what the picture looks like."

 From Patty (and thank you for your answer):

"Where did you get that information? Of Kookaburra meaning cock's comb. It
doesn't as far as I know. A kookaburra is a large common bird (about 30
cm). It makes a very loud noise like somebody laughing, and often they do
this in groups in trees or other perches, such as telephone poles,
electricity wires, or the clothes line underneath our bedroom window
($%*&^*$!). The bird is brownish with white, and because it is a
kingfisher, it has an enormous beak."

If you have a copy of Abbott and Dance's Compendium of Shells on page 124
is of a picture of Biplex jacundum with the common name of Kookaburra
Triton.  But that was nothing new to me for Tucker Abbott had told me (way
back in the 70's when he was curator of our Delaware Museum of History)
that  Biplex shells were called kookaburra shells in Australia (which meant
cock's comb) because of their appearance when you looked at the shell in a
certain position.  So now you know where I got my information.  However,
you are probably right, Patty, and it is a misnomer, but I am wondering by
any chance do kookaburra birds have a comb on the top of their
head?   Anyway you said they have a large beak and Biplex do have a  fairly
long siphonal canal.

This is probably not the most exciting bit of information you have ever