From:
Melissa Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:49:28 EST
Go to the Visitor's Center when you get to Santa Barbara - they sell (for $1
or so, I think) a map to all of the local beaches, with better directions
than I've found in guidebooks.  I've never had great luck shelling in Santa
Barbara, at any of the beaches, but the last few times I was there, a couple
of beach roads were closed, so there are several beaches I haven't explored
and that sound promising (in the descriptions from the Visitor's Center map).

A relatively inexpensive place to stay is the Franciscan Inn, which is near
the beach and has clean, nice rooms and serves breakfast.  I've only had one
problem there - I was once in a room next to someone who turned the
television up pretty loud, and the soundproofing wasn't ideal.  Otherwise I
liked it.  But a cheaper option is to stay at a Motel 6 in a town near Santa
Barbara - it's a quick drive to the beaches and will save you a  lot of
money, if you don't mind not staying in town.

You didn't ask for restaurant recommendations, but I'll give one anyway, in
case you haven't heard of it:  La Super Rica, which is worth looking for -
some of the best grilled food and Mexican food you'll have, at unbelievably
low prices.  You can cram yourself into the little, cramped dining room
(which we usually do), or take your food home.  Call information, or ask a
local for directions, and just follow your nose - you'll smell the wonderful
place several blocks before  you get there.

Have fun!