From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:27:14 +0000
        Since this seems to be a rather Quiet time, perhaps it is now that i
should toss out a question that has been kicking around for a while now.
 I DON'T wish to tread on people's toes, point fingers,  make
accusations or cause trouble - that is not why i am raising this issue,
and would certainly not be good for anyone!!  Rather, i simply wish to
objectively put forward some facts, and ask a question that i believe is
a very valid one which should be put to a good cross-section of the COA
membership for rational discussion.  So, i don't want to hear any
personal gripes or flames: let's just tackle this in a civilized manner.
        The COA is the largest conchological organization in the US, perhaps in
the world.  It has a very good reputation, and represents conchology
well. It represents, and presents via its great website and other
educational and research initiatives, the best aspects of our avocation,
such as the pursuit of scientific knowledge and a strong concern for a
wide variety of conservation measures and issues.  I think most members
would agree that anything that could significantly damage the public
image and credibility of the COA would be bad for conchology in general,
and should be avoided or remedied as a matter of principle (I certainly
hope that most members would agree with me on this point - anything that
damages the COA's reputation is detrimental to conchology in general).
        The annual COA convention is a wonderful affair, attended by many
collectors and dealers from all over the world.  That said, it contains
a time bomb which could explode in the COA's face some day, and which i
think CAN and should be remedied in a manner fair and equitable to all
concerned. (and i hope the metaphor is not too extreme for some - i'm
not trying to be inflammatory!).  There are a variety of laws and
regulations regarding businessmen coming into the USA and doing business
- they are a bit tricky at times, but fairly straight forward in
general.  Non-USA dealers who set up shop at the famous bourse at the
COA conventions, are in violation of some of these laws -  at least the
informal way things are done today.  If someone were to call in the
Immigration police ( i have no idea why such issues come under the
rubric of "immigration" - this must have been decided by the same person
who put tobacco and firearms in the same category!!), BIG trouble could
result, and although the COA would not be LEGALLY liable for any broken
laws, if the incident were to make the national news, the organization
would be presented to the general public in a VERY unfavorable manner,
which in my opinion could hurt its reputation substantially, depending
upon how it was reported.  This hasn't happened in the past because few
people even knew that there was a problem.  However, after i got into
trouble at the border a couple of years ago (when i told the questioners
there the same things i had said three times before, without any
problems at all! - these laws are for some reason far more strictly
enforced at airports than at border checkpoints on the roads) and flew
off the handle a bit (for which i *****REALLY***** want to apologize, to
anyone who was offended by remarks i made at that time, some of which
were made in anger since i felt the COA should have at least advised
non-resident dealers of the laws they might have to face), now a lot of
people are aware of the dangers and i even heard (from a source i trust)
that a couple of folks had even discussed the possibility of instigating
a raid; the dangers are real, and not just in my imagination.
        OK - the question: Considering that a situation exists which could
result in damage to the reputation and credibility of the COA, (not to
mention losses to non-resident dealers, some of whom make a good profit
by bringing a wide variety of excellent shells to the bourse!), what can
or should be done to minimize this danger??  I heard that one convention
in Florida acquired an exemption from some of the applicable laws,
making the bourse a "safe zone" where non-US dealers could sell their
shells without worries.  Could this be done at all conventions, or is it
just possible in Florida?  Should the COA detail all applicable laws to
non-resident dealers applying for the bourse, so that they can be fully
informed?  Could a committee be struck to investigate ways that dealers
can comply with the laws in the easiest, least troublesome manner
possible (and i'm SURE that such a solution could be found - there are a
LOT of VERY intelligent people in the COA!!!)? Let's hear some ideas,
people. (or am i just full of hot air, worried about something not
likely to take place, and if it does, unlikely to have the effects i fear?)
        I fully realize that by bringing this matter out into the open in a
public forum, i have increased the chances that my concerns could be
realized. However, plenty of people have known about the problem for a
long time, so it is not as if i am the only one who has ever brought it
up. If anything i said in this message has offended anyone, i apologize
IN ADVANCE this time - i have no intentions of hurting anyone, but
rather to help prevent harm from occurring.

-Ross M.