From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:07:09 -0500
Intriguing discussion about age of beach shells.

I was collecting at Ft. Macon, NC when I saw some very large Pecten
fragments that I didn't recognize. (I estimate at least 6 inches in
height). The orange coloration was quite fresh. Pretty startling to find.

Someone from NC Shell Club told me that this is probably Chesapecten and
speculated that valves are being eroded out of nearby sediments because of
dredging in the adjacent channel in order to supply so-called "beach
renourishment."

David Kirsh
Durham, NC