From:
G Thomas Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:02:04 -0500
But if Ferussac named his illustration in a caption (I don't know if he
did), why wouldn't this constitute an indication under ICZN rules and
therefore be available; "the proposal... of a new species-group name in
association with an illustration of the taxon being named," which seems to
allow a new species name to become available without a formal description.

At 09:27 AM 03/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks to Aydin for pointing out the correct spelling of Cochlicopa.
>However, I want to point out that Cionella appears to be the correct genus
>to use. Although the date of Cochlicopa Fe'russac, 1821 is prior to Cionella
>Jeffreys, 1829, Fe'russac published only the figures in 1821. The
>description came later, so Cochlicopa was not properly described according
>to the international rules of zoological nomenclature. Consequently,
>Cionella Jeffreys, 1829 is the next available and apparently correct name to
>use. Turgeon et al. (1999, American Fisheries List of common names of
>mollusks) refer to Kennard's (1942, Proc. Malac. Soc. London 25:111-118)
>explanation, which is good, although not very detailed. Igor Muratov and I
>worked with Gary Rosenberg on the question to discover that Fe'russac's
>figures and description were published at different times.
>   There MIGHT be a chapter on raising snails in the second edition of How
>to Study and Collect Snails, which is being assembled by Charlie Sturm
>([log in to unmask]). Contact Charlie if you are interested in collaborating
>on writing the chapter on raising land snails.
>   -Tim-
>
>Timothy A. Pearce, Ph.D., Curator of Mollusks
>Delaware Museum of Natural History
>Box 3937, 4840 Kennett Pike        302-658-9111 x319
>Wilmington, DE 19807-0937, USA    [log in to unmask]

 G Thomas Watters, PhD
 Ohio Biological Survey &
 Aquatic Ecology Laboratory
 Ohio State University
 1315 Kinnear Road
 Columbus, OH 43212 USA
 v: 614-292-6170  f: 614-292-0181

"The world is my oyster except for months with an 'R' in them" - Firesign
Theater

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he
has to buy a license" - GTW

"God knows everything - he's omnivorous" - Homer Simpson