From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 16:38:16 -0500
Dear Aydin and other stygian snail fanciers,

Leslie Hubricht and several other spelunking naturalists have found new
species of nonmarine American mollusks found exclusively in caves.  A
(partial) list of the names have reveals some apt and clever etymologies:

Aquatic prosobranchs:
Amnicola cora Hubricht, 1979
Amnicola stygia Hubricht, 1971
Antrobia culveri Hubricht, 1971
Antroselates spiralis Hubricht, 1963
Fontigens proserpina (Hubricht, 1940)
F. tartarea Hubricht, 1963
F. turritella Hubricht, 1976
All eight species of Phreatodrobia Hershler and Longley, 1986

Aquatic basommatophoran pulmonate:
Physella spelunka (R. Turner and Clench, 1974)

Terrestrial basommatophoran pulmonate:
Carychium stygium Call, 1897

Terrestrial stylommatophoran pulmonates:
Helicodiscus hadenoecus Hubricht, 1962*
H. notius specus Hubricht, 1962*
Monadenia troglodytes Hanna and A. G. Smith, 1933
Speleodiscoides spirellum A. G. Smith, 1957

*One of these is Aydin's species; each feeds on cave cricket guano!

In the course of a discussion on shell coloration in the earlier days of
Conch-L, the characteristic and rapid evolutionary loss of eyes and general
pigmentation in these and troglodytes of other phyla was considered a clue
to the importance of pigmentation in invertebrates.

Harry

At 08:03 AM 3/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Leslie Hubricht described a Helicodiscus from a cave & if I am not mistaken
>it hasn't been found elsewhere. I don't have the paper with me but the
>citation is:
>
>Hubricht
>Nautilus 75:102-107, 1962
>New species of Helicodiscus from...
>

>Aydin

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm