From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 14:30:35 -0300
        I don't know what is being said this morning (i get the digest
version), but lest i be accused of simply jumping to the defence of a
Canadian (we have "all kinds" too!), here are the reasons i believe Mr.
Sharpe did not commit deliberate fraud, which he was accused of by
several normally cool-headed folks on this normally civilized list:

1) His family is well-established in their business, and have no need to
raise money by fraudulent means: they are doing well, and Andrew is a
part of the family business.
2) Most of their business is wholesale, shell-crafts, baskets, etc. and
commercial - specimen shells are not a large componant of the total
gross (i of course do not know exact figures, but can infer certain
things from the facts i do have).
3) I have never heard of any accusations against them, and my own
experiences have been positive.  The family is well known in the B.C.
shelling community as a bunch of "straight shooters".
4) the errant photos were removed as soon as the mistake was brought to
Andrew's attention.
5) if someone as bright as Andrew were going to perpetuate a true fraud,
i should think it would have been done more skillfully, instead of
simply using (ok - without permission - this was very wrong, and the
only 100% clear point on which he can be faulted.  If he had sought to
obtain permission, it would most probably have been denied, and this
would not have blown up.) pix from a major dealer on the internet.  From
what i HAVE heard, he is more intelligent than that.

This seems to be, upon investigation, a case where the accused should
have been given the benefit of the doubt until the relevant facts were
known. That i and Avril were the only ones to contact him personally up
until this morning is not proper: he was tarred and feathered before he
even heard about the charges, and to me, that is simply unfair (**NOT**
to make any specific comments to or about anyone in particular - simply
stating a *general principle*, without pointing fingers!!!).

I've said enough: i greatly enjoy this list -  this incident is simply
an unfortunate abberation from the normally rather high standards it
sets for civility (Flying Pigs et al included!)

-Ross.