From:
peta bethke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:59:26 -0300
Good Morning , Laverne...
What the majority of shell collectors use to remove the "skin" (periostricum) on the Conch is straight , out of the bottle
CHEAP bleach, NOT Clorox or anything other than cheap bleach. I use two gallons bleach in a four gallon bucket (the square
ones used for cat litter) slide shell in carefully as not to splash the bleach (best to be wearing old clothes, use tongs to
transit the shells in or out of the bleach and wear safety glasses as to prevent eye injury{in the case of accidental eye
contact flush repeatedly with clear cold water and call for medical assistance})...
Boy, the disclaimer we must insert for advice ,,,should I mention that you should also avoid breathing the vapors, keep the
bucket sealed and of course" ALWAYS USE CAUTION WITH FOUR GALLON BUCKETS AS SMALL CHILDREN HAVE FALLEN IN AND DROWN!!"
Back to the shell part, the skin will fall off within a few days . the full strength bleach will remove or loosen almost any
foreign bodies from the shell. Good Luck ,,,, Mark & Peta Bethke