From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:59:04 -0600
Ross
If your friends put any pond weeds, even purchased ones in the tank at the
same time then that wuld be my guess as the likely source of the snails.
However, I believe some freshwater snails can aestivate for considerable
periods of time.  I had an experience where I was using a basin for cleaning
winter collected shells from streambanks.  In all cases, a few of the
beached and presumably frozen critters would miraculously come back to
life!  But the most amazing thing was that this basin was left dry for
several months and after soaking my orchids in it I noticed a small snail
stuck to the side happily crawling around!  There's no way it came from the
orchids - it was one of the species I had collected months before and only a
couple of millimeters in diameter.

Nora
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA