From:
Tim Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:08:14 -0400
I've done a small number (<15) of feeing trials with Rumina decollata
(unpublished), and found that they usually seem to prefer eating lettuce
over eating Helix aspersa. In California, where I did the trials, they also
seemed to prefer some local snails over Helix aspersa. The 2 cautions I
would take from these observations are (1) Rumina decollata itself may also
eat your plants, and (2) Rumina decollata may pose a threat to native,
non-pest species. The cynic in me suspects that the ad in the gardening
magazine did not mention these two ideas.
   -Tim-

Timothy A. Pearce, Ph.D., Curator of Mollusks
Delaware Museum of Natural History
Box 3937, 4840 Kennett Pike        302-658-9111 x319
Wilmington, DE 19807-0937, USA    [log in to unmask]