From:
Linda Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 14:51:48 -0500
Hi, All!
       We all like auctions and go a little crazy when we REALLY want an iten.  Just a caution - if you buy shells on eBay, be very careful to ascertain whether or not the seller is experienced in selling shells, even if they're for craft.  I have received 2 out of 3 items which were not "up to par."  And, I can't really blame the seller, as they obviously didn't know anything about shells.  Let's face it, a lot of us were first enamoured of cruddy beach shells, and I once bought a Lambis with a digit missing.  I didn't know any better.   I've learned, now, how to spot the more knowledgable (Sp.?) sellers; they know Latin names, even if they are not always correct, and they show some knowledge of shell grading.  But remember, you might pay a lot more for something you "just
have to have" than if you bought from one of our COA known dealers (They don't have to belong to COA, but at least thy are not complete unknowns to COA collectors.
      Fortunately, I did not spend that much money, and I gained a knowledge of how to buy correctly on eBay.
                Thanks for the loan of the soapbox,
                                               Linda