From:
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 20:02:05 -0600
A bit on landshells.

I disagree with the statement that they are not often offered for sale.  I
have collected them off and on for years from different dealers -- usually
just one or two at a time.  Often this buy was based on price and to see
what the shell looked like!  Most dealers offer landshells and even though
it is a secondary interest, I soon found I had quite a number of very
interesting shells.  Add to that a bit of trading and you have the start of
a real collection.  The majority of my collection is still marine, but the
land portion continues to grow.

I thank Kurt for the wet/dry periostracum hint.  I tried it and it really is
amazing.  It looks like you are wiping the stripe right off the shell, but
then blow it dry, and all is back to the original.

Now back to the forest fires.  They are evacuating another town (Whiterock)
and with the winds still hitting 50 mph it looks like we will continue to
burn here in New Mexico.

Tom E.