From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 01:35:17 -0400
Dear Conchlers,

In responding Andrew Rindsberg I wanted to tell you that I've looked for donations to the museums collection in
Innsbruck. I've traded too some material with other collectors out of our private collection, but not of the museums
collection to make it poorer, but the traded material as it is not European I added to the museums collection in both
names. With the name of the collector with whom I traded and my name. So anybody is forgotten and would see
him in our databases. The museum in Innsbruck doesn't have much money, and if it has money this will mostly
go to the art and history part and for exhibitions, but not to the natural history part, which is quite poor. I have
to fight if I have to buy plastic boxes for the collection and my etat for plastic boxes, tubes, paper, some material
for the computer, mailing parcels with my shells out of my private collection (I let pay the mailing costs) will be
all in all about even less than  $ 600.-- for one year.
So I can't buy shells for it and when I am bying only two species on an auction I'll do this for the museum and
not for our collection.
with best regards
Helmut from Innsbruck

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Innsbruck
phone and fax: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web:    www.netwing.at/nisters/
           (please visit it and sign guestbook)

office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11 a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37

----------
"Andrew K. Rindsberg" wrote:e Geological

> But museums do not trade or buy specimens as much they did in 1910. Mostly,
> they can't afford to buy (though I feel foolish to say this the day after
> the Field Museum opened the Tyrannosaurus Sue exhibit, which cost millions).

Hello!

Ah yes! The new economy.

The Field museum partnered with
McDonalds and Disney in order to afford the $8+ million cost of the beast at
the auction at Sotheby's + the cost(?) of preparing the exhibit.
The companies get exclusive rights etc etc.
I hope the exhibit will be a "Static" mini Jurassic Park with profitable gate
receipts.
New way to do business in the new millennium, partnering.

Later,

Emilio Jorge Power

Please visit;

"The Liguus Home Page"