From:
Joni Inkwindi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 13:48:02 EDT

<< Years ago when I was about 12 years old, and an eager young shell maniac, I
 read a novel about a man who was the sole survivor of a shipwreck >>

Hello Barbara and list,
This reminds me of how I became enchanted with the mystery and marvel of
seashells - when I was nine years old I read the novel "The Lion's Paw" by
Robb White. I was immediately hooked, and one summer we packed up the old
Chevy and headed across the Everglades on old US41 to the elusive Sanibel
Island. This was pre-condo days, and we stayed near the Lighthouse at a great
little mom-and-pop motel called "Fuchs"(I remember because I was embarassed
by the name!) I didn't find a Lion's Paw then, but I did find my first "real"
shells.  We also stopped along the way and I bought a few more.  That was
back in 1963, and I still have those shells with me today.
My favorite shells?  The ones I found back then, and the "miracle" Lion's Paw
that found me this past winter.
JoJo