From:
"Philip L. Poland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:55:23 -0700
Indeed there are, Donnasue.
Dr. Henry McCullaugh of Jacksonville tipped me off to the fact that very
large (>100 mm) forms could be found on the Bay side of the Upper Keys. The
largest of these seemed to achieve their size by eating their smaller
brethren. Some of the giants developed strong peripheral and basal spines -
unusual in this region of spineless forms.
I visited Flamingo at the south tip of the Everglades and found a similar
situation - many, but not all, with reduced spines, and some specimens quite
large. Dr. McCullaugh found pretty much the same thing in Florida Bay
between Key Largo and Flamingo. The spiny forms eventually replace these
forms to the north and west.