From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:06:21 -0400
Hello!

"Private" collector sounds a bit hermit-like. I do not think many shell
people are that "crabby", well maybe a few.

Advanced collector sounds a bit better.

Beginning collector is better than "neophyte", which may give the impression
of  a fungus-like connotation and does not rank one as an amateur.

Hate this ranking stuff. Some organizations (non-military) dole out titles;
commander, capitain etc or proficiency titles as in; Black Belt, Yellow Belt
etc.

Maybe we could come up with one of our own such as;

COLLECTOR RANKINGS

Rank          Competencies

Liguus   -    Harvard/Berkeley material, a thinker of the big picture,
                  the best of all, creme de la creme.
Cypraea -   Extremely proficient and knowledgeable
Conus   -    Somewhat proficient , however muddled by Petuchisms
                  and color forms.
Volute -     About middle of the road (except for deepwater stuff)
Bivalve -    Sort of OK, good at rib counting
Nassaria -  A good start in the muddy flats, some deeper stuff to keep
                  one on their toes.
Pleurotomaria - Not too knowledgeable in managing their
                         financial affairs much less shell a collection.
Crepidula - Bottom of the stack. Best move to other interests.

Well there you have it, only a proposal but maybe it will just catch on.

Later,

Emilio Jorge Power

Please visit;

"The Liguus Home Page"