From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 15:03:07 -0700
Hi Olivier and all,

I've found that when scanning a shell, the orientation of the shell on the
scanner makes a huge difference to the final image. Try scanning a cone
shell with the shell first pointing with the apex toward the hinge of the
scanner (ie. so the apex is the last part scanned) and then try it turned
around the other way (ie. the apex is the last part scanned). I think
you'll find the first image shows the apex in much better light (I've
gotten excellent results with cones). The scanner seems to light the shell
from a slight angle, pointing back toward the biginning of the scan, so you
can alter the shadows on your shell using this light angle as a guide. I
find the image is better as well if the shell is placed in the center of
the scanner as oposed to off to one side, which leaves a reflection beside
the shell. I still haven't gotten around to scans like your Latiaxis
problem where the shell has to be held in a certain position; when I get
into the mood, I tackle that...

Hope this helps (it works on my scanner anyway - Acer ScanPrisa 640P),

Peter Egerton

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca,
lifetime student of zoology and computers.
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/seashell/index.html