From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:08:23 +0100
Just another thought!!
        In Humboldt County, California, there is only one natural history
museum and it's very small.  It contains a fairly nice display of most of
our local shells, a few birds and bees (not to be confused with my old sex
education class),and a beautiful fossil collection on display, from the
University.  Now, once that you've seen that small museum, you probably
feel that there is nothing else left.
        Two years ago we started a brand new shell club (Lost Coast Shell
Club... advertisement) and the objective for the club is to try to educate
the community to the molluscs, habitats, and protection of our local
shells.  No we are not conservationists but are interested that people are
aware of what's in their area.  As collectors we have put on several shell
displays in libraries, the Arcata Marsh Interpretive Center, the Humboldt
County Fair, have sponsored a shell identification day at the Arcata Museum
of Natural History and have sponsored a nice field trip to Crescent City to
viit an abalone farm.  As it is difficult, but not impossible, to collect
in California we, as a club, felt that we had a responsibility to share our
ideas with the greater community.  In the group there are no museum
curators, professional malacolgists no people with credentials.  We are a
group that talks with young people in schools, hospitals and other
community organizations.
        You ask, "but where does the funding come from?"  There is no
funding, but things get done.  No we are not a large group but one that has
an interest in educating of the beuty that we're surrounded with. (poor
English statement)
        If the big organizations cannot do exhibits for us, maybe we should
do a few ourselves.
Dan

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.