From:
Jorge Bartolomeu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:12:43 +0100
Continuation 4:

        Try to go to the Mauritius Sea Museum in Port Louis as well as the
National Library. Here you can find expositions of Mauritius shells as well
as interesting books.
Mauritius has some nice shell dealers  where you can buy common to rare at
very good prices. If you don't collect Conus barthelemyi or Harpa costata
by your miens, you can obtain them for a low price when compared to
European or American dealers. Conus barthelemyi for about 150 to 300 rupees
and  Harpa costata for about 700 to 900 rupees.  You just have to ask for
the shell stores of the Island to any local.
If  I get it right Argounaut and Mikado (situated in Grand Baie and Port
Louis), are the two places were you can buy shells. At Mikado in Port Louis
you can also buy , for a symbolic price a book of Cowries of Mauritius-
Porcelaines de L´Ile Maurice by Jean-Louis. Also for simbolic prices try
the Biggest supermarket of Grand Baie to obtain the book Conquillages de La
Réunion et de I´île Maurice by Jean Drivas & Maurice Jay, and the airport
for Marine Molluscs of Mauritius by Claude Michel.
        The Aquarium near Troux aux Biches has some curious fish to sea (you will
probably see the same fish when you dive in the reef), and also sells sea
shells, but I think these come from the Philippines!!

The food in Mauritius is great and full of chill, local Rum is 5 stars,
people are very friendly, always bargain for your buys in the Port Louis
Market and when buying fruit or crafts on the beach side, buy all your food
in the supermarkets it's much cheaper, try the Japanese restaurants and
Bananas beach bar; don't come back home with out trying the local
ice-creams of tropical fruit; don't miss Black River Gorges, Cascade
Chamarel, Terres de Couleurs, Pamplemousses Botanical Garden and La Vanille
Parc aux Crocodiles; Hire your own transport (Mini-moke or Motor-bike) it's
much cheaper and gasoline is cheap to.

Hope I got every thing here for you? If not, please E-mail back, and I will
bee happy to help you out.

Best SHELLING regards,

Carlos Afonso
 Address: Apartado 662 - Vilamoura