From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 02:14:17 +0000
Dear Eddie;
        Depending upon the time you wish to spend, here are the categories i would include:

Family

Genus

Species/variety or form/Author/Date

Provenance: where and when did you acquire the shell: self-collected, dealer,
bourse, trading, purchase from native, etc.

Collector and date collected: Who collected it and when.

Method of Collection: Dredging, crab traps, Trawler, diver, tangle nets....

Locality: as detailed as you can.

Habitat data: this can be as detailed as you wish, if you know the info, and to
my mind is more important than locality data.  It is a pity that many older
collections are curiously deficient in good habitat data, but if the lot is
self-collected, or you know the collector, you can put down all sorts of things!

"Comments": just about anything else you thing pertinant, such as whether the
specimen(s) is a rare or unusual color or pattern, a different shape than
ususual, - perhaps a note or two about the population the lot came from,
something the collector or someone else at or from the locality of the
population in question told you (eg: "that color used to be very rare here: now
it is one of the most common colors")

The more (accurate!) info you can put into the Habitat and Comments fields, the
more valuable it will be scientifically-speaking.

That's pretty well it - good fortune to you!!

>From Canada in the early morning;
Ross.

----

--