From:
Charles/Mary Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:59:15 -0700
ParkAver wrote:

> Conch-lers- Does anyone have a favorite spot to snorkel and collect in the
> Florida keys? I've been there once before, but sure didn't have any luck
> finding any Strombus raninus,  Vasum muricatum, Cymatium femorale, Astraea
> phoebia or codakia orbicularis. I've had a few people tell me these were quite
> common there, but I found none. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, ScottHi ---

During the 80's, we had lots of luck finding the Strombus, Vasum and
Astrea in Bahia Honda State Park on the Atlantic side.  We usually had
several of our nieces and nephews with us and we were snorkeling in very
shallow water.  However, I don't know what the exact regulations are now,
so it would be a good idea to check before collecting.  This area was a
very good spot for collecting for many years.

Mary

3021 S. Michigan, Apt. 508
Chicago IL 60616
(312) 225-4261