From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:34:56 +0000
Dear Chris;
        Thanks - The actual risks of siezure and fees seems to be rather small in
practice (none of my customers has ever had to pay anything for inspection
(except Tom Rice on a trade!), and i've never heard of any of my sendings being
confuscated!!): The main problem seems to be erratic and unpredictable
enforcement and interpretation of the rather vague and certainly confusing
regulations - i've heard that no two F & WL inspectors or supervisors have the
same notion of exactly what the regs mean and how they should apply to
collectors vs dealers vs smugglers vs commercial shells people.  I don't think,
for example, that inspection fees apply to collectors, since they are not
importing "for commercial reasons".- my customers sometimes have their packages
inspected (nothing ever broken, however!!), but they have not had to pay, with
the exeption of Tom, who was importing "for commercial reasons", given his
operation there.
        In general, this is not a major problem yet - it COULD be in the future, if
someone decides to "get tough" and clamp down on all us sneaky old Conchologists
;-), but so far it is mainly a bit of "background static" (of course, losing
$20,000 worth of shells must have HURT, but thank goodness it is still the rare
exeption rather than the rule!!)

From the land of the FANTASTIC colors,
Ross.

--