From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:52:23 -0700
Barbara,

The sellers may have been alluding to the "ban" on taking Hawaiian
landshells of the Genus Achatinella.  These shells were commonly
available in the early part of this century  and were driven to
extiction and near extinction (check in the Conch-L archives for all
sorts of information on that).  The whole genus is now on the Endangered
Species list.

Other Hawaiian land snails that used to be very common are also
relatively unavailable today and could cost an arm and a leg.  The
situation with marine shells, however, is much different- still readily
available and not restricted.

There are, of course, agricultural restrictions; imagine my conversation
with the ag. inspector about the plastic bag full of unsorted micro-land
shell fossils that looked to him a lot like a bag full of dirt.  They
don't like you bringing dirt back to the mainland (something to do with
exporting soil-born crop diseases) so my fossils ended up in the trash.
Oh well.

Best regards,

Phil Liff-Grieff
La Crescenta, California