Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:00:13 +0100
The only valid Conus in the Mediterranean for me is Conus mediterraneus
Hwass in Bruguiere, 1792. Conus ventricosus Gmelin, 1791 should
be the same species with priority if it is not a nomen dubium
The other cones are living in the Atlantic round the Canary Islands,
as vayssieri does it. In my collection I should have Conus vayssieri
or like this one that they think what it should be collected by
Frank Swinnen, but at the moment I don't have the precise locality.
It should come from the Canary Islands, which belong to the Atlantik.
But in the Mediterranean from Italy to Turkey and farer there is
only Conus mediterraneus / ventricosus. There are really some
doubts which would be the best name for this species. Please
ask eventually Dr. Roeckel from Darmstadt, who is working with
Cone shells but I don't have his address and e-mail. Maybe our
Austrian friend Wolfgang Fischer knows his address as he has been
once president of the German Club La Conchiglia. Also the Italian
friends must know under which name they keep this species.
It's for the moment, as I hav'nt studied the original paper of
description, to simply to say that it must be called
Conus mediterraneus as it is living in the Mediterrnean.
I hope this explantion helps you and you can find some other
opinions. Collectors do keep the same shell under both names.

with friendly greetings to you all

Aurel Wlasak

More later