From:
Karen Vanderven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:23:46 -0500
Re: John Lloyd.  What a treat if you get to go there.  Just
take Route One South of Ft. Lauderdale to Dania. You enter its
business section. Somewhere on the left you pass Alex's Shells.
 There is a
sign
above the road indicating to take a left ( on what I think is
Dania Park Blvd or something like that) to John U. Lloyd.  On the
blvd, there will be a 7-11 type store ( excellent hot dogs) and
the jai alai fronton on the left.  Go
all the way to the end of the road and there will be a kind of
rotary with different spin- offs, but with signs to John U.
Lloyd which is then to the North of the spin off but visible.
There's plenty of parking.  Go to the beach and check out the
drift line.  Carefully examine and shake the sea weed clumps.
Where there is a sand ridge, perhaps left from an earlier
dredging project, brush down and see what pops up.

I have been there a number of times over the years and literally
have a John U. Lloyd collection of tiny shells of a wide variety.
I have found bivalve pairs.  Tiny cones and murexes, including a
muricopsis oxytata. Dentalia.   A mitra pulchella ( I think that's the
name, the orangey one) if you'd believe.  A colubraria.

As I worked my way slowly along the beach, shaking sea weed and brushing
sand ridges, people undoubtedly wondered... but usually you pick up
a couple of nice conversations with curious kids and adults.

Hope you find it successfully and enjoy !

Karen