From:
Cloud Zhang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:56:39 -1200
Dear Lynn and Conch-ler:
I'm sorry for the Vita Marina, but I'm an American Conchologist's
new reader, when I browse through the Vol. 28, I find it's a good
publication. I agree your "One can't cuddle up for a good read
with a computer screen. Nor can one take it to the breakfast table with
a good cup." Also I thinking a Publication the material is more important
for it's long life, and the interesting illustration will be attract the subscriber
always like to see it, or want to hold it, so it can still and in the strong live.
I like doing something for the American Conchologist, if I can. I was got
some images with my Digital camera, they are maybe ordinary, are for I
build a webpage, but before put them on, I like to ask if you interest some
for the publication? One I more interest, a specimen find it at just passed
the Christmas day. A "Dragon shell" (not Worm shell!) I say so because
it's so big, I have no see or hear before (or maybe I need more experience)
anyway it's not so often can see it. At the location it was about 280mm in
length, 12mm and 3.7mm in diameter at two ends, shell pure white, thin,
hard and very fragile. It was stick on a piece long wood under side, that
wood hard like ston, it's float on shallow water at a small and quiet cove,
after turnover the wood then I saw it, the body about 11", the head deep
down into the wood's center. I had do my best job try to taking it out but
it still break, only obtain two  big pieces one is tail 110mm; other one is part
of body 135mm and some  small pieces. The end of the tail is open and a
small notch at front,  much  thick and strong more than body shell. The
soft part was full length with the shell. I'd took some live images but only
select three, two before work:side with  a hammer, and one is after shell
break show inside soft part, and of course some home works.
So, if you interest please let me know, and I need somebody  tell me
what's this species name. Any advice are grateful.

Best wishes, and good luck for all in the new year!

Deng Y. Zhang
P. O. Box 3092
St. John's Antigua
West Indiea