From:
Dennis Felty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:35:09 -0800
Dear Paul

Thanks for the information on the shells. You are correct, the lighting on
the abalone
shell was with sun light focused with a 14" convex mirror and directed
through colored gel filters. This creates a very unusual iridescence. It is
not just a simple filter effect since there is a range of vibrant colors. I
have never been able to figure out the physics of the light effect. Do you
have any ideas?

Best Regards

Dennis Felty