From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 08:43:32 -0400
While collecting snails near a Greek monastery in Istanbul last summer, we
struck up a conversation with a Greek lady from the monastery who told us
that before they cook the snails (in this case Helix lucorum & Eobania
vermiculata they feed them flour until their excreta come out white. This is
presumably to "cleanse" them as well as to fatten them up, as Sophie also
indicated.

The only snail I have ever eaten had been fried & I was in a dark restaurant
where details were obscured. It was indeed a French restaurant, but in Ann
Arbor, MI.

Aydin