From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 23:46:08 -0400
Hi Weasel,

Yes, albinism can theoretically occur in just about any species of
animal, but it is much more likely to occur in some species than others,
for reasons that I can't go into right now, but which will be elucidated
in the upcoming issue of American Conchologist (Join COA now, folks, and
get your subscription!).

I have actually seen an albinistic armadillo.  Yes, a normally white
species can have albinistic individuals.  You would know because pigment
would be missing not only from their fur or feathers, but also from
their skin, mouths, inner ears, foot pads, and eyes (causing the eyes to
appear pink).  Hope that helps.  I don't dare say more.  Lynn will shoot
me :-)

Regards,
Paul M.