From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 07:20:42 -0000
Yep, I've seen an albino armadillo, too.  And an albino BLACK egret,
because there are no white ones in Samoa, and a white crow, and, er...
I haven't seen a white octopus.  At least, not one that would stay white
for very long.  An interesting shell that I find pretty often is a white
nerite,
kind of like Nerita polita, but I won't go into it's name yet.  About one
out of 50 or maybe 100 is solid white, but the operc is normal, and
usually very dark.  The funny thing is that there are no "almost white"
shells.  There are lots of black or very dark shells, and quite a few that
are multicolored, brown, red, striped, etc.  The fact that there are no
in-between forms approaching white leads me to figure that these are
probably albinos.  I tried to see if the last one I found had pink eyes,
but he wouldn't open his itty-bitty eyes for me...

Don
Pago Pago