Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 13:06:06 -0500
Well, I don't really know that to be a fact. Possibly all Gari are "minnow
shells" , but I wouldn't think that is true of Asaphis or Orbicularia.

I notice ( in Vaught's classification) that Psammobia is a Subgenus of
Gari, while Gari is one of five genera in the Subfamily Psammobiinae.
Furthermore, there are five Subfamilies in the the family Psammobiidae,
including the genera Donax and Sanguilaria , which I have never heard
called "minnow shells".

Nancy, I'm just guessing. but I think that the name applies to genus Gari
but not to the Family Psammodiidae.

Wiinston Barney
----------

At 09:47 AM 5/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Nancy,
>
>RE:minnow shell. (?Gari)
>
>The Greek word "garinos" means "a kind of small fish for making sauces"
>
>and psammos = sand
>
>Winston Barney
>Fort Worth, Tx

Winston,

So basically all Psammobiidae would carry the common name of "minnow
shells"?

Thanks for your help.

Nancy